Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 4 year old daughter was complaining of pain behind her…

My 4 year old...

My 4 year old daughter was complaining of pain behind her knees today, as the day progressed she got worse. I thought it could be growing pains so I gave her a bath and children’s Tylenol and she went to sleep. Now she’s awake and can’t walk, she can hardly stand and is crying from the pain. Any idea what could be going on?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

She had a stomach bug this past week with a fever, but she’s been fever free for 24+ hours

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your child's medical history you think the doctor should know?

This is the first time we’ve experienced this No

3/11/2018
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, Doctor

Hello and thanks for your question.
It's my first priority to help you.
I'm reviewing your question now & will post back with the reply soon.

Hi, ok thank you.Her appetite is still very poor since the stomach bug, she complained of stomach pain off and on today. Not sure if it’s related to the leg pain somehow?

Please provide some additional information.

Does she suffer from swelling, tenderness at the affected site?

Nausea, fatigue?

Pain in calves?

Bloating?

Diarrhea?

Have you given any medicines so far?

Thanks.
Waiting for your reply.
I will post back to the reply/answer momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

She’s had 7.5ml of Tylenol.
She says it’s not tender when i touch it and there doesn’t seem to be swelling
She did have diarrhea this week but today it’s been better
she is fatigued

Thanks for the follow-up.
I understand your concern.
As per your description, her symptoms can be related to electrolyte imbalance due to stomach flu.

And You should initially try OTC Emetrol liquid and start hydration with Pedialyte.

Give her Children's Motrin.

Do gentle massage with topical diclofenac sodium ointment on the legs.

Elevate her legs.

Start Culturelle probiotic for kids and Citrucel.
Give her a BRATY diet(Banana, rice, applesauce, toast, and yogurt).

If her symptoms will not show any improvement then see your doctor for a clinical exam.

"I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today!
Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).
We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Ok thank you

Please leave positive rating by clicking 5 stars above the chat box if you are satisfied with our conversation.

Good wishes for her health.

Thanks.

Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, Doctor