Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm a 53 yr. old women. About every 4 weeks I get sick. I'll…

Hi. I'm a 53...

Hi. I'm a 53 yr. old women. About every 4 weeks I get sick. I'll feel perfectly fine before it happens. Out of nowhere I'll get an upset stomach. Not painful or crampy though. Just a feeling that I really have to go. I'll have a small bowel movement, not diarrhea. I'll feel like I still have to go and suddenly I'll vomit. It's very forceful. I'll vomit at least 3 or 4 times. I get very warm and start to sweat profusely. The episode will last about a 1/2 hour. Afterwards I'll feel fine like nothing happened and it usually does not happen again. This has been going on since last fall. Last episode was 4 weeks ago, to the day.

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

Monthly since last fall. I don't feel nauseous beforehand. No diarrhea. Small bowel movement then forceful vomiting.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not really. I need to have a pysical

3/11/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

do you have small hard stool when this happens?

small hard bits of stool can get caught in your bowel wall and cause severe abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting due to diverticulosis pain

you should add more fiber into your diet to bulk up your stool and avoid these episodes of small hard bits of stool which can cause these diverticulosis painful episodes.

you should get a colonoscopy to look inside of your colon.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. My brother had diverticulitis. He had to have surgery. My mom showed signs of diverticulosis with her last colonoscopy so I guess that makes sense. It's just weird that it flares up every 4 weeks, almost to the day.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you for your help

you are welcome work on getting more fiber in your diet

and avoiding constipation and small hard stools

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician