Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

There was a strong PVC/VOC odor throughout the apartment…

Customer Question
There was a strong PVC/VOC...
There was a strong PVC/VOC odor throughout the apartment today while I was drying laundry, strong enough to cause a headache. Then those fumes were drawn into the dryer and heated. Assuming this created dioxins, and dioxins are not water soluble, are they a danger in terms of skin absorption? If not water soluble, how to wash them out?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/11/2018
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 4 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

you are assuming too much here.

those fumes would not cause dioxins

you don't have to worry about them absorbing into your skin.

but don't PVCs and VOCs turn into dioxins when exposed to the extremely hot temperature of the dryer air-heating coil? If they do not turn into dioxin, then what exactly do they turn into?Also, supposing for moment that it HAD turned into dioxin (assumption) - what would be the necessary course of action? (just as hypothetical). Can it be washed out with detergent? What if it were, say, a garbage-burning and smoke-inhalation scenario - what does one do to treat the dioxins?

just because you smelled some volatile organic compounds, doesn't mean there is enough to turn into dioxins.

you are letting your anxiety symptoms get out of control with worry here. you are not burning garbage in your home.

breathing fresh air, stripping clothing off and washing them and showering is the way to decontaminate.

thank you but...can you give a more in-depth response? I had selected "in-detail" on the order page.....also, how does dioxin wash out if it is not water soluble?

you onlyget dioxin if you start to burn large amounts of plastics

just smelling organic solvents and having a furnace in your home isn't enough to make dioxin in your home .