Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband went to a vitamin clinic where you can get IV and…

Customer Question
My husband went to...

My husband went to a vitamin clinic where you can get IV B and general vitamins for energy and immune and glutathione addition the nurse had 3 tries to put in IV it was dripping very slow and it was hurting him he finally dealt with it but 1/2 hour after leaving his shirt and jacket were soaked it seemed to be the fluid but there was blood leaking from injection site his forearm seemed hard and his hand seemed to have a darker tone . We went back they were gone. I’m worried could this be serious?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

This just happened he has soreness at the sites where she tried to draw: his health is good he just got over a URI so that’s why he thought the vitamins would help.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No ...i had the same procedure and no problems he kept saying the fluid was going the wrong way. I don’t know why she couldn’t put the IV in he never had a issue before

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
3/11/2018
Doctor: Edgar Rubio Villegas, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome a JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

How old is your husband?
when moving the hand generates pain?
Can you send me an image of the hand and forearm? they would be useful

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is 66 he said his hand is a little numb but no pain I’m trying to send a photo but it’s on his iPhone I’m trying.
The top of his for arm feels hard like the vitamin fluids did go down
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is 66 his hand seems a little numb but not sore.
His fore arm seems hard as if the fluid leaked down and out

ok, if he can move his hand without pain, there is no danger.
It is probable that part of the vitamins have not been administered inside the vein, so the fluid remains in the compartment of the forearm.
This can cause pain, increased volume or hardening in the area.
They should not be alarmed but the medication can delay its absorption since it is out of the vein.
They should watch the area and if it shows red, very painful when moving the hand, changing the color of the blue hand, violet or pallor.
At the moment I suggest indicating antibiotics to prevent infection of the wound.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.

Edgar Rubio Villegas
Edgar Rubio Villegas
Edgar Rubio Villegas, Doctor