Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My girlfriend has been experiencing pain in her wrists,

mainly the tendons near and...
My girlfriend has been experiencing pain in her wrists, mainly the tendons near and leading up to the thumbs for about 6 months now. We've tried many methods of trying to ease and rid her of the pain, but we've been unable to get rid of it fully. She did see a doctor and was told she has tenosynovitis but that was a few months ago.
My girlfriend doesn't want to do cortisone shots or surgery, so we're trying to remedy it in other ways.
Currently the most relief she gets is by dumping her wrists into an ice bath (she has it in both wrists) and using a topical ointment called penetrex.I was wondering if there's anything else we can do besides the usual icing/heating, pain killers, and rest. She's doing all of that and is starting to grow restless with the situation as it causes her to be out of work, and unable to really do much on her own -- even with splints.
3/11/2018
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome a JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question

Can you tell me the age of your partner?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she is 28.

Please, allow me a moment while I write your answer.

I appreciate the waiting time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Of course, no rush!
Thank you!

Dear, for the symptoms that describe in fact it is a tenosynovitis of the wrist, the treatment is in stages.
Analgesic, a dose of intramuscular steroids and muscle relaxants should be indicated as the first stage.
She must have rest.
Immobilization is suggested for the first 15 days when it is acute.
Tenosynovitis occurs due to an overload of the tendon resulting from a weakening of the forearm musculature, which is why rehabilitation as a second stage is important, otherwise it will relapse into pain.
I suggest muscle strengthening therapies of the forearm, wrist and hand for 6 to 8 weeks.
I consider that is what your girlfriend needs, after this you will depend on your own care.
If rehabilitation does not work, surgery is indicated.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.

Edgar Rubio Villegas
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That sums it up. Thank you.
Edgar Rubio Villegas
Edgar Rubio Villegas
Edgar Rubio Villegas, Doctor