Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a question regarding pancreatitis. For the past two…

I have a question regarding...
I have a question regarding pancreatitis. For the past two and a half years, I have had pain in my upper left rib cage on and off. The pain is not below the rib cage, but ON the rib cage just below my left breast. In fall of 2015, I had an abdominal CT scan and an ultrasound. Then a colonoscopy which revealed diverticulosis and a large benign colon polyp. The pain in my left rib cage has continued on and off. A year ago in February 2017, I had severe stomach pain and ended up in Urgent Care, where they did another CT with contrast, which revealed nothing unusual. Then in June, I broke a rib (I have broken many and been diagnosed with osteopenia), and my doctor ordered another Abdominal Ultra Sound and CT with contrast to check for tumors on my ribs, and this again showed nothing abnormal. She also ordered bloodwork including the CA-19 and that was normal. Now the pain has returned and my back hurts as well. The pain remains in the left rib cage area, and and wraps around to my side and back. But rib cage is tender to the touch. I had blood work done last week - a CMP and all was normal. Could this be a pancreatic problem? I am fearful of chronic pancreatitis as a family member has just been diagnosed (not a blood relative). I am not jaundiced and my bilirubin was normal. I have not lost weight, and my appetite is fine. My stools are normal, although I do have looser stools if I drink wine - never more than 3 glasses in one evening.
3/10/2018
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor

My name is***** and am reviewing your question now.

Have ever had any acute pancreatitis attack?

Do you have any symptoms of pancreatitis such as upper abdomen pain, that radiates to your back, nausea, vomiting, abdomen pain after eating meal etc?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have never had acute pancreatitis. The only pain is in the rib area. The pain does not seem to change after I eat. I do get indigestion at times - gas and bloating, but it is not related to the pain. The pain is pretty constant. It's not a bad pain, just a chronic soreness. No vomiting. No nausea. The back pain wraps around to my back, but not through, if that makes sense.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The rib cage is actually always a bit more pronounced or swollen on the left side under my breast. And the soreness is on the left side of my rib cage under my arm. It follows where the bra strap would be.

Thanks for the information.

It does not look like pancrease related pain. Moreover, you don't have a pattern or a set of symptoms that we see in pancrease problem. Since all your investigations including CT were normal, I don't think it's pancrease problem. Most likely it's a musculoskeletal pain which can present like this. Since you had rib fracture, it might be pressure or alignment issue, but definitely not pancrease problem.

Please leave a positive rating by clicking stars on your screen so that Ican get the credit for my time with you. If you have any follow-up question,you can reply to this post.

Regards,

Dr. Shah

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why would I have loose stools after I drink wine. That's why made my relative think pancreatitis. Where does pancreatitis pain hurt? Do chronic pancreatits show up on a CT Scan or abdominal ultrasound?

Loose stool itself is not very diagnostic for pancrease. Therefore, we can rely on it. Yes, ultrasound and CT would pick up abnormalities in pancrease if there were anything significant.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. Thank you. One more question- where does pancreatitis pain hurt?

In most cases, it's upper abdomen and the pain would radiate to your back.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But below the rib cage, not on it?
that’s correct, not on ribs.
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor