Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband just started a new medicine and this morning

My husband just started...

My husband just started a new medicine and this morning before day he started feeling hot and got light headed and fainted the medicine is duloxetine it is 20 mg he take one pill in the morning this will be his 2 dose

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

He take an omeprazole and no not allergic to anything

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Before he started this new medicine for anxiety he was taking lorazepam at 0.5 mg for anxiety

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Well duloxetine can sometimes cause extreme weakness which may result in collapse. Very sorry to know about it . For how long did he remain unconscious ? Did he recover at his own or with some first aid? Any fits, loss of bowel or bladder control or tongue bite between his teeth?

He was not unconscious

So he just fell extremely dizzy but never really fainted ?

He was not unconscious but yes he fainted twice i help him up the first time and he was going to the bathroom and fainted again
but he did not really remember that he fell is this a side effect of this medicine

Well it happens due to postural drop in blood pressure with duloxetine. Increases the risk for falls . So if he is experiencing any such symptoms then you must discuss it with your doctor for either replacing the drug or further lowering the dose. Thats the only solution to Cymbalta related fainting spells.

I hope it helped.

Let me know if you need any more help

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor