Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I need some advice about my lung illness. Four times and I…

I need some advice...

I need some advice about my lung illness

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes, four times and I have had two antibiotic courses. I have taken Amoxicillin and Erythromycin.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My x-ray showed scarring so I saw a specialist last year and everything was fine. He said I had evidence of pneumonia. I have been ill on and off since November. I still have a persistent cough and although much improved I am still coughing up yellow mucous. I am due to go into hospital but my operation was cancelled because of taking antibiotics.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

I had a flu jab before Christmas and I got a virus with a cough just after. This went and then I caught some other cold after Christmas and have been coughing ever since.

3/10/2018
Dr. Scott, Doctor

Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

It sounds like you have a post viral call with pneumonia that is not cleared. Have you had any fevers? You may need a stronger antibiotic such as a fluoroquinolone or a stronger penicillin antibiotic. Have you had a CT scan of your chest?

Hi - I had a CT scan last year when I had similar symptoms. Yes I have had night sweats. I saw three doctors before I was given antibiotics as they could not detect a chest infection, although I explained it was very deep down in my lungs, I knew my upper respiratory tracts were clear. I had a sputum test that came back clear but following this I was very ill and it got much worse. The pneumonia I had was in a previous time. I have been told there is scarring on the lung.

Have you seen a lung doctor? Have you had a bronchoscopy? Are these the same symptoms that you had last year? Do you mean they have continued through the whole year?

Hi, again, - no they did clear up last year but just after I had my flu jab I picked up this illness and it hasn't really cleared up. No I haven't had a bronchoscopy. I think my doctor is considering a CT scan. The second lot of antibiotics haven't really made much of a difference. I finished them a few days ago.
I m worried I may have asbestosis or lung cancer although I haven't smoked for years. My doctor told me lung cancer would have shown on the x-ray... and not to worry about that.

What was the second lot of antibiotics? I would definitely consider a CT scan. if you have pneumonia in the same spot as last year you should see a pulmonologist to rule out scarring.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Scott, Doctor
The second lot of antibiotics was amoxicillin. They have said I have 'old 'scarring and I looked up on the internet and saw references to pulmonary disease. They don' t seem too concerned about it. I saw a specialist last year all was fine apart from the xray. He said my lung function was great! I m coughing up phlegm every 5 minutes or so. I am supposed to be having an op in a couple of weeks and this has already been cancelled because of the antibiotics. Do you think I should go back to the doctor? Thank you. Yes

Yes, you definitely need to go back to the doctor. Particularly, if you are planning on having an operation. Your symptoms are uncontrolled. You need to have further evaluation and further workup.

OK thanks I will ring them Monday. Many thanks. I gave you 5 stars.

Have a great day.