Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I tripped and took a bad fall on 2/5, cracking my 2 front…

I tripped and took...

I tripped and took a bad fall on 2/5, cracking my 2 front teeth and hitting my head on the sidewalk. The CAT showed a small acute subdural hematoma which has disappeared, leaving me with a hematoma which has greatly reduced in size. There remains a somewhat hard boil sized bump (not purple anymore) after 4 wks of hot compresses. What am I supposed to do now to flatten it further- use cold and then hot, and then compression during the night? Rub the remaining hematoma?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?

No. I am totally fine now. Lucky for me, at 76 yrs. old. I am very active.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had a left mastectomy without any chemo or radiation last year, but nothing that relates to this freak fall!

3/10/2018
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

This can be a scalp hematoma, which is resolving or post traumatic inflammatory mass secondary to traumatic inflammation of scalp tissue (muscle and fascia).

I personally believe that this will resolve with time only, with a modest effect of any supportive measures like cold compresses.

Unless this hurts you a lot, or starts becoming increased in size; there is no need to worry.

Also for pain you can use Tylenol as needed.

Thank you. I have no pain. I will use cold compresses instead of hot. Should a wrap by forehead with a tight scarf as I have been doing for compression during the whole night?

This wrap can impair circulation to inflamed area and can delay healing. Therefore I will not recommend that. Its good in initial stages but not at this stage of resolution.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

If you have any further queries/clarifications --- do ask.

Thanks for visiting JA !

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor