Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Thank you. Is it possible to experience lower extremity

Customer Question
Hello and thank you...

Hello and thank you. Is it possible to experience lower extremity edema 2 days after finishing a 10 day course of prednisone? I have also been on antibiotics for 15 days and will be done with them today. Thank you for your help. Michele

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

I was put on prednisone and antibiotics initially to treat sinus infecttion. I was put on a second course of antibiotics for a UTI. My current symptoms include lower extremity edema and wearing pain along hamstrings on both legs.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Trying to bend or even to flex my knees while trying to walk exacerbates the hamstring pain.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have never experienced this before. I have had a physical 3 weeks ago and was a cardiologist 2 weeks ago. All examinations were fine and bloodwork came back normal..

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/10/2018
Doctor: Dr. Shah, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor

My name is***** and am reviewing your question now.

How old are you? Do you have heart, liver or kidney problem?

Is it the first time you are experiencing the edema?

I mentioned that I have no history of edema and I also stated that I have had a physical by my internist and seen a cardiologist both within last 3 weeks. Everything checked out fine and my bloodwork was normal.

Thanks for the information.

I can see that you were evaluated recently and everything came back normal. At this point, I don't think your leg swelling is due to heart, liver or kidney related. However, the bilateral leg swelling is usually due to a condition that has effect on your entire body in contrast to unilateral or localized swelling. Sometimes, swelling of legs are seen in patients on prednisone. Since you already discontinued it, the side effects linked with prednisone should go away gradually. You can try elevating your legs using extra pillow and use compression stocking to reduce your edema. If you don't see any improvement in a week, you will have to visit your doctor again for proper evaluation.

Please leave a positive rating by clicking stars on your screen so that I can get the credit for my time with you. If you have any follow-up question,you can reply to this post.

Regards,

Dr. Shah