Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm on medical orders to drink a lot of water to flush out…

Customer Question
I'm on medical orders to...
I'm on medical orders to drink a lot of water to flush out toxins from residential and occupational toxic mold and chemical contaminant exposures causing significant health challenges. I am 5'3", weigh 125 lbs., and drink sometimes one gallon of distilled water a day. At what volume of water over what duration of time does electrolyte depletion and consequent cardiological effects become a risk? (Hypothetical example response I'm looking for: "Based on your body mass, drinking 8 glasses of water over a 6 hour period would present this risk.")
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/10/2018
Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 4 months ago
Connie Pennington

Hello. My name is***** do a bit of integrative medicine, and I am boarded in that as well as surgery. Do you know or have you been specifically tested for mold exposure or specific chemicals? Which ones were positive? Many toxins, or chemicals or heavy metals are more lipophilic--meaning they dissolve better in fat. Detoxing occurs with losing weight and breastfeeding due to the high lipid content of fat/breast milk. Water is used to flush the kidneys, flush kidney stones, and dilute some exposures. For your body weight 60-70 oz of water a day is normal, and a gallon is a lot. Any more than that could drop your sodium and then an electrolyte solution would be safer.

Hello and thank you Dr. Pennington. I'd have to look at my medical charts to answer more comprehensively but I can say from memory that I have toxic urine levels of the following mold mycotoxin classes: ochratoxins, trichothecenes, and aflatoxins. I grew up in Grass Valley, CA, home of the historic Empire Mine, so I also have toxic levels of arsenic and some other heavy metals. I have heard integrative medicine practitioners use the phrase "the solution for pollution is dilution" in advocating drinking lots of water to assist with detoxification. Do you disagree with this principle? I have siginifcant hypotension - normal blood pressures being 80/60 or lower - so I typically take about 1.5 tsp daily of Celtic sea salt, which would help counter sodium depletion I would conjecture.
Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 4 months ago

First I would recommend you have a current test for moldsensitivity and heavy metals. If your last test was years ago, you have likelycleared many toxins already. Molds: First make sure that there is not anongoing exposure. Check your house, basement, carport or other damp areas formold. Check around where you work or places you frequent. Also avoid moldcontaining foods. Food supplies that often contain mold naturally includealcoholic beverages, wheat and all wheat products, rye, peanuts, cottonseedoil, corn, barley, sorghum, sugar and hard cheeses. It is best to stick to ananti-inflammatory diet and decrease ongoing exposure if you have moldsensitivity. Water is one method of flushing mold toxins through the kidneys. Oneof the most helpful supplements to take when recovering from mold exposure is agood probiotic. Having the GI tract populated with beneficial flora is crucialfor immune function. I like a strong probiotic, like VSL # 3 at 900 billion, tore-establish good gut flora. There are also foods that eliminate moldsnaturally like garlic, ginger, cayenne, and the herb goldenseal.

For heavy metals water alone rarely will aid in detoxification.First get tested and know which heavy metals you are dealing with. Common heavymetals are:

• lead (auto exhaust, root canals, building materials, water, some teas)
  • mercury (dental fillings, vaccines, contact lens solution, seafood)
  • cadmium (cigarettes, batteries, hydrogenated oils, coffee)
  • arsenic (conventional poultry and eggs)
  • aluminum (deodorant, vaccines, cookware, some teas)
  • thallium (added to gasoline)
  • bismuth (makeup, medicines)

It is important to limit ongoing exposure by avoiding productsthat contain heavy metals.

To get the body (liver) to release heavy metals is tricky. Theliver must be under no stress (from poor lifestyle habits) and it will detoxnaturally. A good supplement to assist is citrus pectin. (PectaSol) which bindsmetals for excretion in the GI tract. Again, it is imperative for any detox tohave a clean diet, exercise, and quality sleep. The following supplements arerecommended during a detox: glutathione, omega-3 fats, artichoke leaf extract, andVitamin D. Some also recommend alpha-lipoic acid. Other measures are airpurification, and general stress reduction.

I hope this helps, and good luck!