Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

This question is in regards to my husband. My husband who is…

This question is in regards...
This question is in regards ***** ***** husband. My husband who is overweight has ED and takes Viagra. He was also taking Allegra D for allergies. Viagra didn't seem to be working for him urologist said that Allegra D could be counteracting it. So his pcp switched him to singular and he still has problems with Viagra working. So I am wandering if Singular can keep Viagra from working. Also can Singular cause swollen prostrate. I think he had this issue also, but not sure.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2018
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

what other meds does he take?

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Yes, singular can still cause issues with viagra being effective. another option is for him to use flonase nasal spray for any allergies. But he could also increase the dose of viagra or try cialis and see if that makes a difference.

As for prostate issues. Both of those meds, claritin and singular, can cause issues with the prostate creating a little backpressure. So they don't make the prostate bigger but create issues with normal urinary streams.

he had a urinary tract infection and had ecoli in his urine. How would a man get ecoli in the urinary tract? Also he is taking 100 mg of Viagra already. Cialis doesn't work either. He takes flonaise already. Is there another allergy medicine that won't counteract Viagra.

E coli is common in the genital area and in the urinary tract so if a UTI occurs then it's most commonly e coli because this is a good bacteria that lives in our large intestine and helps with digestion of foods. If he hasn't had any luck with the pills for ED then he may have to discuss other options such as surgeries or injections. He may also have lost his sexual desire altogether which wouldn't be remedied with ED meds.

He can combine 3x a day sinus washing with flonase but other than that he would be left with cromolyn nasal sprays which is allergist can try.

I was reading that men rarely get urinary tract infections. So I was just wandering what could have caused it as he as never ever had one before?

You are correct. But rarely doesn't mean never and I treat plenty of men with UTI's. Just as in women, we don't have a perfect explanation why some men get UTI's more than others. An enlarged prostate, a low bladder muscle tone, poor diet, stress, constipation, and medications are all contributing factors.

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD