Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a son who is taking .5 mg Benzotropine and 2mg of…

Hi I have a...

Hi I have a son who is taking .5 mg Benzotropine and 2mg of Haloperidol. He is having a hard time with changes taking place in his life now. He is 18 diagnosed with PPD/MMR/Autism. Can I also give him in addition to these medicines 5-HTP and Ashwagandha to help with his anxiety/stress. I want to try natural remedies

Doctor's Assistant: Has the son used 5-HTP or anything similar before?

No, he has not. Once in a blue moon he has used Clonzepam. I’d prefer not to do that. He has gained a mountain of weight on his meds.

Doctor's Assistant: Has he seen a doctor about the stress?

I am in the midst of transferring him from his childhood psychiatrist to an adult facility. He has aged out of childhood facility

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in his medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. He just had his fasted blood work done and everything came good, except his triglycerides were a bit high. He has seasonal allergies. Other than tons of weight gain, he is healthy

3/10/2018
Connie Pennington

Hello there. My name is***** am boarded in integrative medicine.

Ashwagandha is a wonderful herb/medicinal. 300mg twice daily after food is the recommended dose for stress relief

5-HTP is commonly used for depression. It would also be safe to try. 100mg twice a day. It should not be used with SSRI's or MAOI's.

Is he on any medication besides Cogentin and Haldol?

Have you done in advanced food allergy testing or vitamin testing on him?

Connie Pennington
No. He is not on any other current medications. Yes, he had food allergy testing done. He is not allergic to any foods
Phone call session started