Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

A friend of mine was at her neighbors apt last night and…

A friend of mine...

A friend of mine was at her neighbors apt last night and this morning about1am both of them started vomiting BAD and diareah, and her friend had to go to the hosp by ambulance. Both of their tongue's are swollen so bad that they can't close their mouth.. Can you give me any idea what this may be

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?

No no

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

This typically looks like a case of severe gastroenteritis, an acute inflammation of the stomach and intestines, which cause severe symptoms such as nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, leading to severe dehydration, hypotension, and exhaustion; often requiring immediate management in terms of IV fluids and antibiotics in the ER.

Most commonly this happens with viral infections, but many a times bacterial infections are also responsible (typically known as food poisoning).

The swollen tongue, is not a typical feature of this disease, but can happen with infections, or severe allergic reactions.

Sometimes the infected food can give allergies as well as infections at the same time.

Was it helpful?

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your friend's good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

would this happen to both people even if they were only in the same apt for only a few minutes and did NOT eat the same food

The most common way of transmission of infection is oral route, so shaking hands, sharing glasses etc can be the trigger.

No I cannot afford $50, but these 2 people were only together for a few minutes so how can it be food poisoning

If there wasn't any sharing of food, water, glasses etc, then other non-infectious causes should be looked for; a toxicology screen also will help rule out any possibility of intake of any poisonous agent.

Now, also, if they had some blood tests taken, and cultures for stools have been processed, this will identify any organism responsible for the infection.

ok, TY

The commonest cause is still an infection, followed by allergic reaction (garments, sprays, chemicals etc), followed by intake of a poisonous agent.

A clinical exam, and lab will be required to exactly pin-point and identify the underlying cause.

Thanks for visiting JA!

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor