Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I suffered a concussion Saturday night and blacked out for a…

Hi — I suffered...

Hi — I suffered a concussion Saturday night and blacked out for a few seconds. I have since been diagnosed with post concussion syndrome. My ears feel stuffed and occasionally bother me but I can hear ok. I have an appointment with neurologist Tuesday (GP diagnosed the post concussive) but is this ear thing part of the syndrome? I hit face first and broke my elbow as well. I tripped on the sidewalk. I’m 62. Female. Otherwise healthy.

Doctor's Assistant: When did the break begin? Have you used any medication for it?

Fell Saturday night. Started experiencing concussive symptoms Thursday. Headache, dizzy, fatigue. The pain has been manageable. I have been taking occasional Tylenol

Doctor's Assistant: Have you used anything besides Tylenol for this?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Hypothyroid which is controlled. On Synthroid. Nothing else

3/10/2018
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Ok thank you
Also had 2 ct scans. No bleeding. All clear

Traumatic Brain injury can be mild, moderate, or severe (complicated).

It appears that you had mild traumatic brain injury (concussion) and the symptoms Post-Concussion include speech, balance, visual, memory, or emotional problems).

Its very reassuring that CT scans on two occasions were normal, therefore, this ear problem also is part of concussion syndrome, and as other symptoms will improve gradually, this will also settle down with passage of time.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Doesn't look like anything serious as of now, based upon your description and also considering an unremarkable Neuro-Imaging Studies.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Thank you! I feel much calmer now!

Thanks for visiting [email protected]