Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter had an allergic reaction from a pain med

Customer Question
My daughter had an...

My daughter had an allergic reaction from a pain med hydrocodone..a rash how long does it take to go away and is there anythng we can do to help it

Doctor's Assistant: When did the rash begin? Has your daughter used any medication for it?

A day and a half ago..and we have tried benadtyl and cortizonr cream

Doctor's Assistant: Has she seen a doctor about the rash?

The doc who perscribed the med said it needs to run its course just wantvto know if thers anything elae thar wl help

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in her medical history you think the doctor should know?

The pain med she was given was cuz she had appendix out..but that was routine she was home within 4 hours from tthat

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Honestly, the time to recover completely depends upon severity of the reaction.

The reactions can be very mild (just itching); Moderate (with some bumps on skin only with out any discharge/fluid), Severe (with generalized skin/mouth involvement leading to itchy vesciles with discharge and blood and signs of systemic inflammation like low blood pressure and fever).

Mild to moderate reactions can be managed as outpatient with oral medications and topical agents (like she is getting) and severe reactions need inpatient treatment, IV medications etc.

It appears she had a mild to moderate reaction and it should improve or at least start to improve with in 48 to 72 hours of treatment. And if it doesn't improve by end of 1 week, simply means she need more stronger medications, may be some IV shots to control the allergic cascade, and allow the normal immune system to heal this up soon.

As of now, if the symptoms are mild and improving, just an watchful monitoring is required and hopefully Benadryl and cortisone cream will be adequate to control this gradually.

Was it helpful?

Good luck and my sincere wishes for her good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

If you have any clarifications/queries, do ask.

Thank you for visiting JA!