Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

If the person is the carrier of chlamydia and gonorrhea and…

If the person is...

If the person is the carrier of chlamydia and gonorrhea and doesn't have the disease himself how did he get it in the first place? Now his partner has been infected and the carrier is stating he was tested negative and he thinks he didn't pass it on to his partner that someone else did. How is that so?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

The carrier or the one infected?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No the partner had no symptoms other than he was aware the carrier was unfaithful so he had himself tested for precautionary measures. So the results came back positive but the carrier said he got tested and it came back negative. Do you suppose he is lying?

3/10/2018
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Both chlamydia and gonorrhea can only be transmitted by a sexual encounter. It can be penile-vaginal sex, anal sex, or oral sex, but they are only transmitted by sex. This is true whether the individual has symptomatic disease or is a carrier without symptoms.

It is impossible to know when any individual acquired chlamydia or gonorrhea. A person can carry either germ for a period of time before developing symptoms. It is only possible to know the source of the chlamydia or gonorrhea if the person has only had one sexual partner during their life time. The person in whom the chlamydia and gonorrhea was recently diagnosed could have acquired the germs from a previous partner and it is only now detected. The person could have acquired it from the current sexual partner and the previous test simply missed the germs. But whoever was the source for the person in whom it was recently diagnosed, that person also must have acquired it from a sexual encounter.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The partner has been with this partner for 8 years. The carrier came to him two years ago and said he tested positive for STD but at that time the partner tested negative. Now two years later the partner now has both gonorrhea and chlamydia and has only been with this partner. The carrier did admit there was another person involved in the last 3 months but that he had tested negative. Could this be true or again he is just a carrier. I think he is lying and does have both .

As I said above, the test could simply have missed the germs. The current tests are good, but they are not perfect, so it is possible that the tests could have missed the germs in the partner or in the other person that was only involved in the last 3 months.

Depending upon how the encounter was managed two years ago, it is also possible that the germs were transmitted two years ago, and have only now been detected.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank u

You are very welcome.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Dr. D. Love, Doctor