Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I’ve been taking time release metronidazole, I’m small and…

Hi I’ve been taking...

Hi I’ve been taking time release metronidazole, I’m small and I’ve had a hard time swallowing pills in the past so I’ve been breaking them in half to take them. The past few days I’ve been developing a sore throat, been naseaous, and been going back and forth between being hot or having chills, is this a result of breaking the pill in half? I read up and realized i shouldn’t be breaking it in half when i take it so obviously i won’t be doing that anymore but i just want to know if the side effects will lessen and if that is even the reason for my side effects

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?

I don’t think i have a fever, I’ve been feeling hot, it’s been a day or two that it’s been causing discomfort, i also messed up the time frame that i was supposed to take them and i took one almost 5 hours too early one time

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Besides ongoing issues with BV no

3/10/2018
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

How old are you?
How many tablets did you take so far?

When did the new symptoms begin?

I’m 22
I’ve taken 19 so far
And they started maybe a day or two ago when i messed up the time frame that i was taking them
The full prescription was 1 every 12 hrs for 7 days
I weigh 95 lbs and I’m 5’3

Have you finished taking them?

How is sore throat now?

How about other symptoms?

I have 5 left and my throat isn’t that sore today, it’s lessened for sure. Mainly I’ve just been feeling a lot of uneasiness in my stomach and been getting chills and hot flashes off and on

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
As you know, you should not break the tablet.
It would release the medicine in large amount.
This can increase the side effect.
Nausea, feeling in stomach is a common symptom with metronidazole side effects.
Taking them earlier will also increase the side effects.
There can be throat irritation from medicine.
On the other hand, chills, sore throat can be from a virus or bacterial infection.
As you are feeling better in throat, you can wait & watch.
Please try to take the tablet whole without breaking.
If the symptom gets worse, I would advise to take an examination by doctor.
Ibuprofen or tylenol can be taken for sore throat.
Please take plenty of fluid.
Have adequate rest.
You can do warm salt,water gargling.
1/2 tsf salt in 8 oz. of warm water would be good.
I hope all these measures would give relief.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)