Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

The tip of my middle finger is swollen and the swelling is…

The tip of my...

The tip of my middle finger is swollen and the swelling is spreading down my finger. The pain is shooting down my hand into my arm. My finger has been swollen for a couple of days. Today the pain is unbearable

Doctor's Assistant: When did the pain begin? Have you used any medication for it?

It started hurting maybe two days ago. But today the pain is stronger and my finger feels tight. I soaked my finger in alcohol and it hurts worse. I haven't taken any meds

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about the pain?

No ma'am. I am trying to see if I need to go to the ER..

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Blood clots are very common in my family...

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board-certified consultant with over 30 years of experience. I’m reviewing your question and reply you soon.

Okay. I am waiting. Thank u for your response

Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

What are your age and gender?

Associated fluid/pus pocket?

Please upload a picture to review.

History of Diabetes, Hypertension, etc?

Are you taking any medications?

Any history of an injury?

Waiting for your response.
Thanks

30 years old and female
No pus pocket or fluid I can see.. my finger feels very hot
Just had Gestionatinal Diabetes for the fourth time
Doctor wanted to test for Type 2 diabetes but insurance got cancelled before testing.. Was still suffering from Diabetic symptoms after having my last child 5 months ago
No meds and no history of injury
Please let me know what u think?

Please allow me just a few minutes.
I’ll reply you back soon.
Thanks for your cooperation and patience.

Okay.. thank u for your time and patience

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

I have reviewed your pictures.

Well as you describe, it sounds Paronychia- a soft tissue infection.

You should take some self-care measures until you see your doctor.

Soak your finger or hand in warm water with betadine solution 3-4 times daily.

And afterward, apply OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream mixed with bacitracin ointment 2-4 times a day.

Take OTC Motrin and Claritin for few days.

And see your doctor for prescribed antibiotics.

Blood sugar levels, HbA1c should be tested.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s requested to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Thank u.....

I wish for your good health.
Please do not forget to leave positive rating by clicking 5 stars if you are satisfied with our conversation. A bonus is highly appreciated.
We can continue our conversation even after you provide a rating.
Kind Regards
Dr.Anil