Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Constant urge to swallow even waking me from sleep

Customer Question
....
Constant urge to swallow even waking me from sleep .
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
Normal eating and drinking
3/10/2018
Doctor: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

There are two possible causes for this symptom. The more common cause for this is a post nasal drip. The post nasal drip is likely to be due to an allergic condition or due to sinusitis. You should, therefore, treat these underlying condition to reduce the postnasal drip and this will cause a reduction in your constant urge to swallow. You should drink plenty of water to thin the secretions.

Another cause for this symptom is reflux of acid from the stomach to the throat. In this case, taking an acid lowering medication at night will help. You can take Prilosec to know if this medication is beneficial. If the cause of your symptom is reflux of acid then by taking this medication you will be able to sleep peacefully without waking up.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered

questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above

with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Dear customer,
Were you able to read my answer?
Did I answer your question? Please reply.
Please let me know if there are any further questions.
Thank you!

Dear customer,
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
Thank you!