Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Woke up this morning with pain in what appears to be called…

Woke up this morning...

Woke up this morning with pain in what appears to be called my manubrim. It is worst tonight. Extremely tender to touch and hurts when I move and take a deep breath. Pain can be a 10. Woke up with it today.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

About 10 hours. Moving, stretching or touching it.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I can think of. It is painful when not movinv but any movement makes it worst. I can add that I have experienced popping in that are on occassion.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

Is there any swelling? redness?

How old are you?

Did you take any medicine?

Any past illness?

Is it Manubrium sterni?

No redness and I dont think any obvious swolling. I am 50 and only take vitamins. The bone above my sternum. No recent illnesses.
I am a female. No pain yesterday. An area towards the top is extremely painful to touch. When I stretch back can feel it in muscle area around it also.

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
Your symptoms sound to be due to musculoskeletal cause.
It is likely due to to inflammation of joint of ribs with cartilage called costochondritis.
This can cause pain on movement.
You can take analgesic antiinflammatory medicine like Motrin after food.
Warm application can be soothing.
If the symptom continues, I would advise to take an examination by doctor.
Sometimes local steroid injection and antiinflammatory or analgesic patch can be used.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

What would cause this to come on suddenly like this? I have a very high tolerance to pain and this can be 8-10 on a scale from 1-10
When I touch an area towards the top it is a 10

The cause is not often clear.
A viral infection can cause it.

You can take the medicine now.

If you do not get relief, please get an examination by doctor.

Thank you. Are there any symptoms I should be watching for or any other possibilities I should be concerned about?

You are always welcome.
Though heart issues or angina, reflux can cause pain in this area, it would not cause tenderness.
Those would not be worse on movement too.
So those are unlikely.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you.
If you are happy with my answers please do not forget to leave a 5 star rating before signing out.
Without positive rating I will not get the credit for helping you today.
You can ask question on the topic after rating.
Wish you healthy life.
Warm Regards.

Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
I do have another question. You mentioned viral. I returned from mexico a couple of weeks ago where we did go into the jungle. I was bitten a couple of times by mosquitoes. Should I have any concerns that this could be the root cause? As in something viral.

Mosquito bites which occurred a couple of weeks ago is unlikely the cause.
Viral infection would develop within days of exposure.

Thank you. I guess I am just grasping to find an answer. I am a busy professional. I have a lot of stress lately but have had no problems. It has been concerning just waking up with this.
Day 2. Same pain but now swollen.

The swelling is from inflammation.

Costochondritis/ Tietze syndrome can cause it.

Please take an examination by doctor.

He can prescribe injection.

A local infection of skin, soft tissue needs to be checked for too.

I reated a few days and used ibuprofen and was much better. Had to carry a few bins of things yesterday and it is back worst than ever. Assuming the lifting aggrates this

Yes, please give rest to the part till you recover.

Exertion would aggravate it.