Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

On Monday i had a bad springboard diving accident where I…

On Monday i had...

On Monday i had a bad springboard diving accident where I face planted into the wall, a few days later I developed whiplash and now my lymph nodes have swollen on my neck and base of my head I’m not too sure why my lymph nodes have swollen but what can I do to put them at bay? Thanks!

Doctor's Assistant: What are their symptoms? Have they used any medication for this?

Stiff neck, very hard to do head checks in cars (acute movements) and lymph’s nodes are tender

Doctor's Assistant: Have they seen a doctor about the tenderness?

No I haven’t

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in their medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am on anti depressants for my anxiety I started taking a few days ago not Sure if there is a relation though

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

Was there any skin cut from the injury?

How many nodes are there?

How old are you?

Did you consult doctor or take any medicine?

No skin cut, maybe a pimple but that’s not from the injury, there’s a big one near my ear, a small one at the base of my head and two little ones underneath the one near my ear on the left side.
I’m 21.
Haven’t see a doctor, I have seen my physio to do some exercises to get my neck moving a bit and my osteo. Who suggested the nodes were due to inflammation. Haven’t consulted a doctor about it though.
On Wednesday, I also started taking antidepressants (Valdoxan) for an unrelated anxiety issue.

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
There can be a few causes.
Lymph nodes can be enlarged from an infection.
Inflammation can cause enlargement too.
These are the common causes.
If the symptom continues, I would advise to take an examination by doctor.
Blood work, ultrasound can be taken.
You can take Motrin or Advil for pain.
Warm compress can be soothing.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

Okay thank you so much! If the nodes started swelling on Wednesday and it is now Saturday when do you think they should go away? It was a pretty forceful impact on the water. Thank you for the reassurance I wasn’t sure if inflammation can actually cause node swelling but that is good to know.

Lymph node can take time to subside.
It can take a few weeks too.
If they enlarge in size or increase in number, you need to see doctor soon.

Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Thank you! I will take your advice.
Kind regards,
Zoe