Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Ureaplasma has been detected in a urine sample I gave for an…

Customer Question
Hi, ureaplasma has been...

Hi, ureaplasma has been detected in a urine sample I gave for an STI what is it and is it dangerous?

Doctor's Assistant: When did the STI begin? Have you used any medication for it?

I have no symptoms and have taken the prescribed antibiotic

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about the STI?

Yes

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
3/9/2018
Doctor: Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon replied 1 month ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

That is a type of infection which is generally known as a "mycoplasma" infection, and often found in the urinary tract.

Often times they will prescribe doxycycline to treat this infection.

Others used are azithromycin, or moxifloxicin.

Once you are treated, this should be fine. It is a fairly common type of urinary tract infection.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there appears to be a lot of scary stories about such an infection on the internet, should I disregard these?
there’s a lot of fake and scary news on the internet.Because they found it, and now can treat it, you will be fine.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was told by my Doctor that my previous STI check a few months ago, which came back clear, didn’t test for it. Why do they not test for it as standard? It concerns me that if this is the case, previous partners who told me they had been tested and were clear could perhaps have it? What happens if it remains untreated?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did you receive my last reply? Thanks

If untreated, this type of infection could theoretically cause upper urinary tract infections, although they are link 2 specific conditions remains unproven. It is thought that this could be related to infections with childbirth,an so they would definitely treat this if you are pregnant.

Of course, many healthy adults have colonization with the ureaplasma organism, and some studies have shown that up to 80% of sexually active women have colonization of this ureaplasma.

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon