Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I need to start taking Lexapro for anxiety. I am planning on…

I need to start...

I need to start taking Lexapro for anxiety. I am planning on cutting the 5mg in half at first as I am very nervous to start taking medication. I suffer from health anxieties as well as all the physical symptoms(dizziness, muscle twitching, feeling of adrenaline rushing and constant thinking about my condition) Does Lexapro cause seizures and serotonin syndrome? I want to start with 2.5 to ease into it.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

My whole life on and off. I am 40 now and it is at a bad point. I also started working with a psychologist on cbt. She feels I will benefit from both.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

No, I recently had a body scan from head to toe including Brain MRI. I am just curious about the questions I asked about the Lexapro. Thanks

3/9/2018
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

At dose, you are very very unlikely to have any side effects

Can 2.5mg be effective at all?

not likely

probably need at least 5 mg

more likely 10 mg for anxiety

Thank you.

welcome :)

good luck

you will be fine :)

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor