Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My wrist started hurting a few days ago the next day i woke…

Hi my wrist started...

Hi my wrist started hurting a few days ago the next day i woke up my hand was kind of swell it’s still kind of swell and my wrist still hurts and between my thumb and index finger hurts and in the inside of the palm of my hand hurts by my thumb close to my wrist is this carpal tunnel? What can i do

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

For about 2 days now I’ve had to stay off my foot for awhile so I’ve been crawling around a lot that’s how i noticed the wrist pain

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

There’s nothing else

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

You're describing classical symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome here--a compression of the medial nerve at the level of your wrist

For now you can try topical over the counter capsaicin cream, heat, oral ibuprofen, and a wrist brace

But with that if this continues beyond another three days you need to have your doctor check it out with an exam and nerve conduction studies. You might need a cortisone injection and physical therapy at that point

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will do that i know my hand tingles and arm feels numb at times this is how it looked when it first started swelling but it’s gone down a bit now will Benadryl help the swelling?

Thanks for the photo

Definitely carpal tunnel syndrome

Benadryl and ibuprofen will both help with the swelling

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks so much I felt as if it was just wanted to be sure

My pleasure

Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor