Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Why would a dietary plan say not to eat pork while

Why would a dietary...

Why would a dietary plan say not to eat pork while recovering from a pneumothorax and fractured ribs caused from a trauma?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes. Tramadol 50 mg

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No daily meds. Allergic to ibuprofen, aspirin

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I do not believe so

3/9/2018
Connie Pennington

Hello, I am a surgeon and would like to assist you.

It could be a recommendation to avoid foods that have a choking hazard, as this could cause considerable pain.

It would be important to chew your food well, or consume pureed meats for a while to avoid choking.

There can be edema (swelling) around the esophagus after trauma, and soft foods go down easier.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Connie Pennington
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am just wondering why pork was the only food listed, as there are so many foods that may be a choking hazard. Is pork considered to be a more dangerous hazard, and is that the only reason why it was listed?
I am asking because the accident happened late Saturday afternoon (3/3/18). I was air lifted from the scene due to the lung collapse. A chest tube was inserted and remained in until around 9:30 am on Tuesday (3/6/18), and I was released to go home 3 hrs later with tramadol for pain and a dietary plan that said no pork. Tomorrow will be exactly one week since the accident, and I seem to be healing rather well, but just wanted to be sure there was no other reason for pork to be removed form my diet.

I am unsure why pork was the only food listed, other than texture/choking hazard, but you are correct in the other meats can be a hazard as well. I am glad you are doing well, it sounds like a serious accident. My best advice at this point is to use common sense and eat softer foods than usual, chew well, take it easy, and pay careful attention to your breath and chest rise and fall. You should not have any problems. Do you have a follow up appointment with the trauma surgeons?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do on 3/16/18.
Was not completely satisfied with my trauma surgeon as they did not answer any of my questions, so do not be surprised if I request you again to better explain things to me after my follow up. Thank you so much for your time, patience and information.

You are welcome, I am happy to assist you anytime.

Connie Pennington
Connie Pennington
Connie Pennington