Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have herpes and have disclosed my diagnosis to the one…

I have herpes and...

I have herpes and have disclosed my diagnosis to the one partner I’ve had since being diagnosed. Do I actually need to always disclose my Herpes diagnosis?

Doctor's Assistant: When did herpes begin? Have you used any medication for it?

Yes valtrex here and there

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about herpes?

Yes was diagnosed in a relationship

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will try to assist you today.

Thanks
I’d prefer to not use phone option
How does this work? Will I get an answer now or wait for an email?

No problem. Technically, you do not have to tell your partner about your herpes diagnosis. There is no law that states that you must disclose a herpes diagnosis. That being said, it is typically illegal to knowingly and recklessly transmit an STD, especially HIV. Hope that helps.

Thanks, ***** ***** apply in Canada too?

Oh good question. I am not well versed in the health laws in Canada but I believe it is a crime not to disclose HIV or another STI before having sex that poses a “significant risk of serious bodily harm," in Canada. However, most prosecutions have been strictly related to HIV and hardly any have been related to herpes, syphilis, chlamydia or other STIs.

Source: https://globalnews.ca/news/3796984/have-an-sti-what-youre-legally-obligated-to-disclose/

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating for my service today. Thanks!

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD