Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

For several years I have had a recurring condition that pops…

For several years I have...
For several years I have had a recurring condition that pops up every few months, usually connected with a time of unusual stress. The main symptom is that mouth mouth gets a "slimy" sensation like my teeth are filmy no matter how many times I brush my teeth, accompanied by an unpleasant salty taste. The skin of my face feels tender and sometimes breaks out with pimples. There's also a general feeling of being a little off, a little tired, etc.There seems to be some correlation with coffee, as I often wake up feeling normal and the mouth feel doesn't come back again until I've had some coffee. (just one cup, not a big drinker) But when I'm not "in this state" coffee doesn't do this to me.I understand that it's triggered somehow by stress. What I want to know is how can I cure it? Is there something I can eat, drink, or do that will return my body chemistry to its normal state after a bout of stress? Because the symptoms last for weeks, long after the stress event has passed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

your symptoms sound like they could be due to bad anxiety symptoms

or could be due to bad dehydration, not drinking enough water which can cause mouth to be slimy and your other symptoms

drinking more water, gadorade, chicken broth could help hydrate you and help your symptoms.

they could also be due to low potassium levels possibly. low potassium can also go along with dehydration

It does seem a lot like dehydration but whenever this happens I start drinking massive amounts of water and the symptoms continue for several days. I also eat a lot of bananas in general so I doubt I would have a potassium deficiency.If it is a symptom of anxiety, which seems likely, is there anything I can do about physically? The symptoms seem to continue several days after the stressful event has passed.

you may benefit from medications to help decrease anxiety

yoga, exercise can help decrease anxiety symptoms

you can try to exercise and see if that helps.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician