Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I originally thought I just had a really sore muscle in my…

Hello, I originally thought...

Hello, I originally thought I just had a really sore muscle in my back since I exercised on an elliptical for the first time in about 2 years....But, then yesterday I woke up and I was having issues in my chest in the upper right ...Things were and still are tight and it hurts to breathe, and blow my nose and cough even. I was even having pain when I was trying to go to bed. I took my pulse and it was about 67 or so per minute. Yesterday I was on a walk for my lunch at work and I even had to really slow down. It was hurting to breathe

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the pain? Does the pain affect your breathing?

For about 2 days now and yes, it affects my breathing.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had a catheter ablation done on my heart for AV Node Reenterant I am about to turn 50 and that was done when I was like 32 years old.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome a JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay.

Please could you indicate the following information

Do you have cough symptoms with expectoration, fever, runny nose, weakness?
When pressure is applied to the chest, does it cause pain?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, I can't right now. I'm at work. Typing is fine.

It is not necessary to call.

It is an automated response.

It is website generated.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, I don't have nay of those things.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Even when I bend over it hurts in my chest area and is harder to breathe.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was originally thinking I just over did the elliptical and my heart and lungs just aren't used to all of that now. It has been about 2 plus years since I have really been able to work out like I normally would have. I had a Total Knee Replacement surgery in Oct 2015. And I am finally feeling like I could get back into some of my working out again.

Please, allow me a moment while I write your answer.

I appreciate the waiting time.

Dear *****ient, for the symptoms mentioned, it is a costochondritis, an inflammatory process of the ribs and their musculature.

The costochondritis occurs by physical effort, such as lifting objects to perform exercises that were not used, prolonged positions such as being in front of a desk or product of the inflammation that is generated by the effort that is made to present cough after a flu.

Costochondritis can generate the sensation of pain when breathing or shortness of breath.

It is what impresses me in your case, so I suggest a muscle relaxant and muscle relaxer for a few days, then resume their activities progressively.

I suggest the following medical treatment with analgesic such as Diclofenac 50 mg(1) one tablet every 8 hours for 5 days in addition to a muscle relaxant such as Tizanidine 2 mg (1) one tablet at night for 10 days

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your advice. And yes, it was very helpful.

its has been a pleasure.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Edgar Rubio Villegas
Edgar Rubio Villegas
Edgar Rubio Villegas
Edgar Rubio Villegas, Doctor