Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have recently developed a hypoactive thyroid. I have

I have recently developed...

I have recently developed a hypoactive thyroid. I have breast cancer and I’m doing the ketogenic diet. Would this diet be the cause?

Doctor's Assistant: When did cancer begin? Have you used any medication for it?

I had a bilateral mastectomy 3 weeks ago. More surgery next week on lymph nodes

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen an OB/GYN about cancer?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I feel dizzy and lethargic. Generally feel unwell. Thyroid?

3/9/2018
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Well you are right to an extent as ketogenic diet inhibits coversion of T4 to more active T3 ( forms of thyroid hormones) thus causing hypothyroid symptoms to worsen. Did you have any radiotherapy for breast cancer at all ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had radiation for breast cancer 9 years ago. I’m in early stages of treatment now and no chemo or radiation yet

Alright radiation can also lead to a slow thyroid which can manifest years later. So whatever the cause may be you will need thyroxine replacement if your tests show a high TSH with low T4/ T3 hormones.

Commonest cause worldwide is autoimmune dysfunction of thyroid caused by antibodies against thyroid gland so these must be checked too i.e anti Microsomal and anti thyroglobin antibodies.

Thyroxine supplementation must be monitored with TSH levels once every 6-8 weeks.

I hope it helped.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Stay blessed.

Regard

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your valued assistance

You are always welcome.

Stay blessed.

Regards

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor