Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Top of right hand, quarter size lump to right of base of…

Top of right hand...

Top of right hand, quarter size lump to right of base of thumb and about 1/2 inch above wrist - medium amount of pain.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?

Hard and doesn't move and this has been going on less than a week. several weeks ago had doctor look at middle two fingers that were at times painful to move. said I had arthritis.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Only prescription medication is for hypothyroidism, 66 yr old female and in otherwise fairly good health.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Can you please attach a photo of the lump here?

The lump isn't that pronounced but still painful.

It is most likey a ganglion cyst which is common near joint spaces and forms in areas of wear and tear or arthritic changes. Since it is painful, it can be drained by a doctor but first do conservative treatment by taking advil for few days and see the response.Wearing splint for a week can help.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor