Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was diagnosed with the flu on February 21st. My symptoms…

I was diagnosed with the...
I was diagnosed with the flu on February 21st. My symptoms are gone and I’m back to normal except for an annoying cough! Some days it’s a dry cough, some productive. A lot of times I feel like I have to clear my throat! Is this common to last this long after or should I be concerned?
3/9/2018
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

The average duration of a lingering cough after the symptoms of flu have resolved according to a study is 18 days. So, having a lingering cough this long is not surprising. You should drink plenty of water and also drink warm water with honey and lemon to reduce a cough. At present, without shortness of breath or any other symptoms, the cough is not concerning. You should, however, get prescription medications to reduce a cough if it is very severe and disabling.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered

questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above

with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Thank you! I was hoping it was just lingering longer and was hoping it wasn’t concerning!

Dear customer,
You are very welcome!!

Hopefully, in another few days, it will disappear and completely resolve.

Thank you!