Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I take 40 mg pantoprazole+sodium for past 3 months and

Customer Question
I take 40 mg...

I take 40 mg pantoprazole+sodium for past 3 months and noticed swelling in my left lower leg. I also take chlorthaldone for past 3 years which did away with the edema until I started on protonix

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Only allergy is sulfa daily meds are losartan, crestor, co q10, chlorthaladone

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

With the meds my BP usually 125/75. 71 yr old male, lost 90 lbs over past 2 yrs now 195, walk 6 miles daily and in generally good shape .

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
3/9/2018
Doctor: Dr Su S, Doctor(MD) replied 1 month ago
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

When did you notice the swelling?

Is there any pain, redness?

Did you consult doctor for it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Noticed swelling shortly after I started on protonix. No pain, no redness. Swelling goes away when I remove my socks.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I reached out to my doctor waiting to hear back.

Please wait.
I am writing the answer.

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
The swelling of legs, ankles, feet is usually due to collection of fluid.
Typically it develops in these parts of the body due to gravity.
There are different causes of swollen feet and ankles.
Pantoprazole can cause swelling of body as a side effect.
You can discuss with your doctor whether it is a factor here.
He can change it to other acid reducing agent.
There can be a few other causes too.
Prolonged standing can be a cause.
Other causes can be the diseases of the heart, kidney, liver.
Venous insufficiency, clot can cause swelling in one leg.
Those should be checked for too.
Please try to keep the legs elevated while taking rest.
After examination he can decide whether to take tests.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

Dr Su S
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)