Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had diverticulitis for about 5 years. I have a

Hi, I have had diverticulitis...
Hi, I have had diverticulitis for about 5 years. I have a colonoscopy scheduled for later this month but I decided to do one of those over the counter fecal immunochemical tests to see if there is any trace amounts of blood in my stool. The test came up positive and now I’m really worried. I did two tests. One that had me put a sample into a solution and provide drops into a strip. That was positive. I then did another that has you drop a piece of paper into the toilet and if it turns blue there is blood positive in stool. That test was negative. I’m worried. I’ve had lower back pain for a year now and a few weeks back I had a gastro issue and a bad diverticulitis flare up. Should I be worried about cancer? I’m 42 and a female.
3/9/2018
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Thank you.

As per recommendations of US Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF), colonoscopy or fecal immunochemical testing (FIT) for occult blood; either of these can be used as a screening tool for colon cancer.

USPSTF does not give preference for any one screening test over another.

Now if one of your tests is Positive for Blood, this means a further evaluation is warranted.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Ok

At this point, I will recommend a colonoscopy exam to be the next preferred step for further assessment.

Positive blood doesn't always means cancer, but to rule out any thing serious, a scope should be done, which will rule out any serious pathology like a caner, and will also put your mind at ease.

Good luck .

Lastly, I had a pelvic ultrasound this week and they didn’t see anything. I also had a ct scan with contrast about 4 years ago that showed diverticulitis. Would my pelvic ultrasound show anything? Just curious.

Pelvic ultrasound at least would rule out any abnormality in ovaries, uterus and bladder. It is not the modality to visualize and see the Colon.

Got it. Thx