Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My wife has been suffering with upper abdominal / rib cage…

My wife has been...

My wife has been suffering with upper abdominal / rib cage pain the past few months. The pain is so severe that she cries during episodes. She has been referred for a gastro scope by our family Dr. this revealed nothing. Then for an ultrasound - this also came up clean. Could her spleen cause this?. He rib cage has become sensitive/ painful and during episodes she burps a lot

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

She has been having these pains for the past 2 months. there is nothing that helps not even 4 pain killers.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing

3/9/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

upper abdominal pains and burping a lot can be a sign of excessive stomach acid.

stomach acid can be decreased by stomach acid reducers like zantac or prilosec 20mg which are over the counter

has she tried these? she may have to change her diet to avoid foods which can worsen stomach acid.

we have tried all the anti-acid medication. She basically does not eat because she is afraid of the pain. From what I can see the pain is not from the stomach more between the ribs

if she doesn't eat, the stomach acid will cause more stomach inflammation and pain

she needs to be eating some regular meals

and empty stomach can become very inflamed from stomach acid.

sometimes the cartilage can become inflamed from costochondritiis. but this is treated with NSAIDs like ibuprofen and these have to be taken with food in the stomach after a full meal or they will also inflame the stomach as well

We have been for a Gasto scope and it reveal nothing, he pain is mostly in her ribs which leaves the ribs sensitive for long periods after her eppisodes

it could be nerve pain from shingles

or costochondritis pain in the ribs from inflammation

she can try ibuprofen 400-600mg every 6-8 hours with food and see if this helps with the pain

she can also try 5% lidocaine creams or patches on the ribs and neurontin nerve pain medications to see if this helps the pain.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician