Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Dr ravoof thought it would be more fair to start anew

thread . I wanted to...
Dr ravoof thought it would be more fair to start anew thread . I wanted to clarify something , often when I look at the sky , not all the time , some time I get swirls in my vision . Is that entopic phenomena?
3/9/2018
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

Yes, this is a type of entoptic phenomenon. This is benign and not alarming. The fact that you get this sometimes means that there is no underlying disease and what you are experiencing is normal. This is something that everyone observes sometimes and is a natural phenomenon. This does not mean that there is something wrong in your eyes.

Take care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I see . Another thing is doctor , does having PVD at a younger change risky ?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Having PVD at a younger age is not at all risky and may, in fact, be associated with a better prognosis and outlook. Even in older age, PVD is non-sight-threatening. When it occurs at a younger age the symptoms subside quickly in the vast majority of patients. There are no possible complications and the individual becomes symptom-free over a few months.

Take care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great! Thanks :) I think having it a younger age also reduces the risk of yet or RD to almost none ?

You are very welcome! :)

PVDs are only very occasionally associated with RD, and this can be easily prevented (by an individual suffering from PVD) by avoiding strenuous exercise during the first six weeks after the start of a PVD. So, the risk of this complication is almost zero with an eye examination and if an increased physical activity is avoided.

Take care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had a slit lamp last week but not a dilated eye exam since that December cuz my eyes were choked through a bio microscope . Is there any chance that the slip lamp will show nothing but a dilated eye exam would ?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Getting a dilated eye exam once every year is more than sufficient for monitoring. Your December eye exam is still considered to be accurate and you don't need another exam. Slit lamp examination and dilated eye examination are complementary and used for certain indications. One is not superior to the other and both are helpful in detection of an abnormality.

Take care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's true but is there a chance that the alit lamp comes out clear and the dilated eye exam won't ? Cuz only on the basis of that did they tell me that I won't be needing one right now

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

No, all the lesions can be detected even by a slit lamp exam. Also, your dilated exam was done very recently. So, there is no chance that your dilated exam will not come clear in the presence of a normal slit lamp examination.

Take care.

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much :)

You are very welcome!

Thank you!! :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dr , is getting mild line like flickers with rapid eye movement , a sign of some patho or is it a nomral phenomena caused by rapid eye movement , cuz my brain can't seem to tune them out

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

With fast eye movements, flickers are common and is a natural phenomenon based on laws of physics. This is not a sign of any abnormal pathology. You should not worry regarding them.

Take care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh I see . Interesting ! Thank you so much for your time and patience I really appreciate it :)

You are very welcome!!

Thank you so much!! :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dr , I read somewhere that if you have pVD young you have a genetically abnormal eye . But that's not true is ut

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

No, this is not at all true. You should only believe the standard medical websites and journals.

Take care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Those are usually not what you get when you google :(

Dear customer,

I understand! On Google, you will find a large database of false and frightening information without giving a context or facts and figures. These articles are written by non-professionals and are not based on studies or patient experience.

Take care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ah I see . Thanks so much as always ! :D

You are very welcome!

Thank you!! :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dr , does everyone go through a PVD at some point , young or old and often don't get to know about it? Is it common for youngsters to go through it ?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

A high percentage of individuals in old age can go through a PVD. However, this is uncommon in young individuals.

Take care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am not sure about a PVD cuz my eye doctors haven't mentioned anything about it but if you have floaters doesn't it mean you have gone through a PVD ? And if it's uncommon in young people does that mean that these youngsters are prone to premature developments like glaucoma or tears or something ? I shouldn't think so but still

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

No, this is not true. You can have floaters even without having a PVD. Floaters can also occur in healthy individuals and also in those who have myopia. You should not worry regarding floaters with a normal eye examination.

No young individuals are not prone to premature developments. Without a diagnosis of PVD, you have no reason to worry regarding this.

Take care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I might go in for a dilated eye exam so I've been told by a doctor about PVD , by chance I am having it , I hope it won't be anything more than just a normal phase

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

You don't have it since it would have been easily detected in December when you had a dilated exam. Even if you repeat the exam now you will get a normal result.

Take care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I see . I hope so but still PVD doesn't signify an abnormal dilated eye exam result I hope , I am just considering a possible outcome , that's why :(
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you have occasional light flashes with rapid eye movement without having a PvF
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
PVD *

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Yes, you can definitely have occasional light flashes with rapid eye movement without PVD. These abnormal visual sensations are due to the rapid eye movement and not because of an underlying condition.

Take care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I see . I'll let you know what the result is once I get in for the exam. If it's not PVD then great , but if it's , I shouldn't hope that it's a worrisome matter . It will pass

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

The result will definitely be normal and there will be no PVD. But even with PVD as I have mentioned before the prognosis is very good and this is not something that should worry you.

Take care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I see! Thank you so much for the reassurance ! Big thanks !!

You are very welcome!! :)

Thank you!

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor