Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Have there been any know reactions to the MMR vaccine? I…

Have there been any know...
Have there been any know reactions to the MMR vaccine? I received the shot in the hospital 2 days postpartum. I started to breakout in hives 2 days after receiving it and the hives have been persistent for about 5 weeks only clearing when on Prednisone.I did receive the vaccine as a child but when pregnant I was tested and showed to be rubella equivocal.
3/9/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

yes, about 5% of patients can get a rash to the MMR vaccine.

hives could mean you had an allergic reaction to something in the MMR vaccine

you may need to see an allergy and immunology doctor to get testing to check for allergies to see what you may be allergic to

How long would the reaction to the vaccine typically last?

usually for a few days or 1-2 weeks

usually with steroid therapy and creams it gets better

The measles virus used in the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) and single measles vaccine is grown in cultures of fibroblasts from chick embryos, and there have been concerns raised about the possible presence of egg protein in the vaccines and the advisability of administration to individuals who are allergic to eggs.

it doesn't sound like you are allergic to eggs.

something lasting 5 weeks probably isn’t from the vaccine?

yes, it could be from the vaccine still

some patient's immune systems can be more sensitive than others

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Ok thanks!

you are welcome