Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 98 yr old mother who is in a nursing home has just been…

My 98 yr old...

My 98 yr old mother who is in a nursing home has just been diagnosed with Shingles. I have companions who come in at meal time to assist her and socialize with her. For their safety should I discontinue their visitation and, if so, until what time will it be safe for them to return?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes because she is immunno compromised they are giving her 1000 mg valtrex three times a day.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

She has been on predisone for many years for Bullius Pheghigoid and is now on 20 mg. along with many other meds

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She is on a minimal dose of doxicycline (skin) and keflex (urinary)

3/9/2018
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Every patients responds differently to this infection and the recovery duration varies from one patient to another depending upon the background (delayed healing in old and immunocompromised patients and early healing in patients who are relatively young).

Therefore the cut off limit is not the time/days.

In general patient with active shingles can spread the virus when the rash is in the blister-phase (fluid filled vesicles). Once the blisters have dried up and there is crust formation, the patient is no longer infectious.

Pregnant women, old and immunocompromised people and young infants should avoid visiting the affected person until he/she recovers completely.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for her good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

My concern is for her care givers - they each have others that they care for during the week. I think I have answered my own question -- I think I should discontinue their care until the rash has scabbed -- doyou agree?

Yes, they should avoid contact with each other until the rash is healed.

This is good and mandatory for every one's safety.

thank you very much....
Healed or just scabbed?

Scabbed means healed.

Kindest Regards.

Ok...thanks again

Welcome :)

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Thanks for visiting JA !