Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

When I yawn and inhale at the same time I have a really

Customer Question
When I yawn and...

When I yawn and inhale at the same time I have a really sharp pain in my chest

Doctor's Assistant: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have asthma, I take thyroid medicine and am an anemic

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
3/9/2018
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Pain in the chest with deep inhalation effort is usually a result of Pleurisy, a condition in which the pleural membrane (an elastic covering over the lungs) becomes inflamed, the usual cause is a viral illness.

Some times, the pain can arise from a sore muscle in the chest wall. The inflamed muscle is spastic and a stretch due to deep inhalation give rise to pain.

The best treatment for this is to take anti-inflammatory medications (like motrin or aleve) for next few days and see how you respond to it. Ideally this should settle down with in few days, but if it does not or if becomes associated with fever or productive cough, then it will be a clear indication to have this examined by your doctor for further evaluation.

Was it helpful?

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor