Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Arachnoi cyst some questions. No some tension headaches

Arachnoi cyst some questions ...

Arachnoi cyst some questions

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have frequent headaches? Any issues with coordination or balance?

No some tension headaches only

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

No nausea

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Yes the mri show no hydrocephalus no extra axial collection ...

3/9/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD
Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital in Chennai, India. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.
Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Hello... I understand your concern.I need some more information please.1. May I know your age please?
2. Do you always have vomting with headache?
3. Good to hear that there's no hydrocephalus or extra axial collection. Can you upload the report of MRI please?
4. Were there any seizures at any point of time?Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The mri show a medial posterior fossa arachnoid cyst
The majur vascular structure at the skull base are patent , the midline structure is normal ... there’se no mass lesions , hyrocephalus or extra axial collection ...i don’t have seizure or vomiting or nausea ... i have anxiety , headaches(they occure in the middle of the day) , depression
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The mri was done because a car accident
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what is this doctor ?

Hi...first let me assure you that you are completely fine and there is nothing to worry about this cyst. It was only an incidental finding in MRI.

Arachnoid cysts are the most common type of brain cyst. They are often congenital, or present at birth (primary arachnoid cysts). Head injury or trauma can also result in a secondary arachnoid cyst. The cysts are fluid-filled sacs, not tumors.

Usually it doesn't warrant treatment unless it is causing symptoms. The most common symptoms include - headache, nausea, vomiting, lethargy and easy fatiguability and rarely seizures.

This needs only follow up and no active intervention as of now as it was an incidental finding due to car accident related brain imaging and not symptomatic per se.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okayy , so is it normall that it will not cause problems ?

Hi...if it is not symptomatic then you need not be worried at all. 90% of arachnoid cysts are found out incidentally and not because of symptoms at all.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if i had symptoms it will be balance problems due to the location ??

Hi...not exactly. The symptoms are most commonly like what I have mentioned above. As arachnoid cyst is not a pathological variant, the position in brain is usually not reflected it the symptoms please.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay ,last question and i will rate u i have read that these cyst affect 4-5% of the population ? Is this true
What you have read is absolutely correct. It is so common that if an MRI brain is performed on me even they might find one in my brain also. But I am here as a Healthcare professional and in good health. I am just giving you an example so that you can be very confident about your well-being.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD