Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have MS. I have been on aubagio a few months. Now I see…

Customer Question
I have MS. I...

I have MS. I have been on aubagio a few months. Now I see that my blood work shows positive for JCV virus. Also I have been experiencing a lot of new symptoms and feel crummy. Should I perhaps be checked for PML and how is that done?

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Fair

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Age 81, some cardiac problems, MS but I can still walk, MS duration 30 years,

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
3/9/2018
Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 1 month ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you have MS and are on Aubagio now and the blood work is positive of JC virus, and you are having certain new symptoms and you are concerned now about the possibility of PML. As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

I am currently preparing & typing my answer and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks

You are very welcome!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
chat is ok--let us see how it goes

Okay sure, I am typing now, I will follow up as soon as my answer is ready.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok

Okay I am ready; I am posting my answer here;

Please see, it really does not appear you are developing pml (progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy).

While I can understand you have been having certain new symptoms as you have described above and you are having JC virus titer positive too but still this does not appear pml

This is because there are still no pml cases that have been officially confirmed to be attributed with use of aubagio

While certain other ms drugs such as tysabri, fingolimod etc have been found to be associated with pml but aubagio (teriflunomide) has not been conclusively associated with pml cases

As far as your question on how to check for pml, the investigation of choice in this regard is an MRI scan of the brain

The mri scan shows certain characteristic findings if someone has pml, and based on the mri findings a diagnosis of pml can be made

Another test that can help is a spinal tap and CSF (Cerebrospinal fluid) analysis, and based on certain findings of this test too we can tell whether someone is having pml or not

As you see the above mentioned investigations can help in ruling in or ruling out pml cases, but your symptoms do not appear due to pml

Once again I reassure you, although you have been having new symptoms but it is certainly unlikely due to pml - since there are no cases of pml that have been confirmed to be related to the use of aubagio, so your symptoms must be secondary to some other health issues and you will require further medical and laboratory evaluation to ascertain the precise cause for your new symptoms but as far as pml is considered it really does not appear you are developing this condition, so please not to be scared.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My question was not really answered. Is this just a scam to get me to agree to a 50 dollar charge for a phone call? Please cancel my 7 day free trial immediately

Hi, please contact the company directly for refund. The phone call offer was just an automated site response and it was not sent by me. If you are not happy you can always contact the company directly and ask for refund.

Wishing you all the very best!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

These are the contact details of Just Answer I have with me;

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help - this is their official “Contact Us” page where you will get information on how to contact them through email, chat or phone options

Please contact them and ask for a refund and they will help you in this regard.

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)