Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I work at a podiatry room in a doctors surgery. a patient…

I work at a...

I work at a podiatry room in a doctors surgery. a patient scratched me when paying. he had some sores on I'm

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

I have no pain. I was accidentally scratched by a patient who nicked my skin and I would like to know hiv risk

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

History of anxiety

3/9/2018
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Hello!

My name is***** to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks

I can understand your anxiety.

Well, you would not get HIV by this incident. No need to worry at all.

Please be relaxed. As such, scratching would not transmit HIV.

There should be active and deep cuts which are bleeding, for HIV transmission to occur.

No need to worry at all. You should be safe.

There has not been a single such reported case. You should be safe.

I am confident, that you should be safe.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will try to assist you today.

Were there any open cuts on your body in the area the patient touched you? Do you know if the patient is HIV positive?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't know pt status. he scratched me and left a tiny mark you can see it like a pin prick on my finger in image

Thank you for the picture. Did the patient have any blood that touched that area on your finger?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not that I saw.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but I'm unsure. I'm really just wondering if this is a risk or not?

Great, that is very reassuring. With a cut that small and no visible blood on either you or the patient, I think the risk is 0 for HIV transmission. You can go to this CDC website to find out more about transmission: https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/transmission.html

According to the website:

In extremely rare cases, HIV can be transmitted by contact between broken skin or wounds and HIV-infected blood or blood contaminated body fluids.

Since no blood was seen, I think the chances are 0. I hope that is helpful.

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

I understand your worries. However, you should not worry regarding this because HIV is not transmitted by fingernail or toenail scratches. This lack of transmission of HIV through scratches is a universally accepted fact. There are many studies that were done which conclusively showed that scratching does not cause transmission of HIV. Please refer the below link for one such study. All HIV organizations and HIV specialists are unanimous in their opinion that scratching is not a risk factor for HIV. You can relax and not at all be concerned about this.

HIV virus cannot survive on the fingers (or under fingernails) and therefore cannot be transmitted by scratching. There are no cases in which HIV has been transmitted from person to person by scratching.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3221322

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered

questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above

with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor