Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am wondering what I might have. I have a cold with my

I am wondering what...

I am wondering what I might have. I have a nasty cold with my voice going in and out, also a dry mouth that only cough drops will help. I also have ear congestion at times. All of this but no sore throat. Could this be an uri? Or a cold with no sore throat? Would meds help? Also how long will this last? Symptoms started last Saturday with the dry mouth and small cough.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?

Since Saturday as of yet no fever.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Don’t they know so

3/9/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** am an ear, nose and throat physician and I will be assisting you today.

This definitely sounds like a viral URI (upper respiratory infection). Classic symptoms are cough, nasal congestion, and ear pressure/congestion.

Rest and hydration will be your best thing to combat this. Over the counter medications like Mucinex and Sudafed can help with some of the symptoms. All of this should resolve within two weeks. If the symptoms persist past about 10 days, especially if they are worsening, you may need antibiotics. I hope that helps.

A nasal saline spray may also help with nasal congestion. You can use it a few times a day.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide me with a 5-star rating for my service. We can continue speaking even after you rate. Thanks!

Thank you. I just can’t seem to sleep more than an hour or two at night either-makes it hard to work! So just use over the counter meds? Is there a good one for my dry mouth-I assume that’s because of the coughing. Thanks

Yes, dry mouth is likely from the coughing and the nasal congestion. Drinking a lot of fluid is the best thing for the dry mouth. Medications will likely not help with that. Hope that was helpful! And good luck!

Please don't forget to rate me when you get a chance. Thanks!

Thank you. One more question. I woke up this morning with my left ear clogged up and hurting. Should I use a decongestant for this? And what’s a good one to use?

Yes, you can use a decongestant for the clogged ear. Sudafed is a good oral medication for this. You can also spray 2 sprays of Afrin into your left nostril, which can help. But do not use Afrin for more than 2-3 days. I hope that helps. And please remember to rate me. Thanks!

Thank you. Went to minor emergency this morning and it’s an ear infection starting at n antibiotics. Thank you

OK glad you got the antibiotics. Good luck.

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating for my service. Thanks!