Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have stringy stools. Only a mild anti depressant

I have stringy stools ...

I have stringy stools

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No. Only a mild anti depressant.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Hello!

My name is***** to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks

Ok

Do you have alternate loose stool and constipation?

Are you on any medications?

Do you get abdomen cramps?

Do you suffer from anxiety or severe stress?

Waiting for your reply…

Thanks

No. Mild anti depressant only. No. No.

Dear,

Thanks for all these additional details.

Well, such symptoms can occur due to- Inflammatory condition of intestines (colitis), Irritable bowel syndrome, bacterial infection.

To make a diagnose, you need to get these tests done-
-Complete blood count
-Stool culture test.

Exact cause is still not known, but few determining factors can be considered such as-
-Bacterial infection or irritation of the stomach and intestines caused by bacteria. This condition may start all of a sudden in few days. A stool culture test would be diagnostic.
-Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
-Slow motility
-Food sensitivity
You can treat it with healthy and balanced diet along with medications.
You need to take Psyllium, it is a natural vegetable fiber.
Sometime milk products worsen the condition, if you have any symptoms from them, then avoid it.
Also stress aggravate it, so practice yoga and meditation. Also you need to go for breathing exercises, for relaxation. Avoid anxiety and stress.

You should avoid processed foods. These may contain 'resistant starch' which is difficult for your body to digest.You should Cut down on foods rich in insoluble fiber, such as wholemeal bread, wholegrain rice and cereals containing bran.You should avoid foods such as beans, cabbage, or uncooked cauliflower or broccoli.

Also Getting regular, vigorous exercises, will make bowel movements regular.Sometimes doctor prescribe - Anti anxiety or anti -depressants drugs, These can also cure the symptoms.
Proper dietary control should be done

Best bet is - Get your diet schedule managed from dietitian.

I suggest you to consult your doctor, discuss this issue and get appropriate management.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

May i help you further?

Do you need more help?

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Thanks.

Dear,

Most Welcome.

God bless you !!

Don’t forget to leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor