Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What does the number 2113 mean on a urine drug test for

What does the number...

What does the number 2113 mean on a urine drug test for opiates.

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Just routine lab testing, I think, but one area tested positive for opiates. i believe the cutoff to test positive is 2000. but what does 2113 mean--way over or just barely over testing positive

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Takes Norco for fibromyalgia and severe back pain. Positive result makes sense, but wondering what 2113 means as far as if there's a range and*****over or barely over testing positive. Hope that makes sense

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2018
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

It would depend on the context. If it is referring to the level of a drug when the threshold for a positive result is 2000 ng/ml, then it would mean that the level is just barely above the level to test positive.

If I could see the report and the context of the number, I can say more.

Can you attach the report (using the icon on the toolbar that looks like a paper clip)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you so much for your reply. however, for some reason another dr. also responded and said the score of 2113 is unusually high! So now I'm confused. Can you help me?
I will try to figure out how to send you the lab report; I am not particularly tech savvy. Can I take a picture of the page and send it to you?

If this refers to the level of the drug, I do not see how a level of 2113 would be considered unusually high when a level of 1999 would be considered negative.

However, I can say more if you can attach the report. Yes, it would be fine to take a picture of the report and attach it using the icon on the toolbar that looks like a paper clip.

I will be going to bed shortly, so if it takes some time, I will respond tomorrow.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I hope these are what you were looking for. I so appreciate your observations

I have received four pages of what is apparently an 11 page report. These pages are pages 8, 9, 10, and 11.

The only occurrence of 2113 on these four pages is on page 9, and it occurs twice on that page. Two lines below Drug Abuse Screen, Urine and two lines below Ethanol (Alcohol) Level. In both cases, this looks like a time stamp (2113 is 9:13 PM). On all four pages, whenever there is a new order listed, there is another four digit number in the second line following, and these numbers vary (1334, 2007, 1823, 1817). Since it is associated with each order, it is likely the time at which the order was entered into the system.

It clearly, though, has nothing to do with the test itself or the fact that the screen for opiates uses a threshold of 2000 ng/ml.

I would also note that the confirmation for the opiates is not present on any of these four pages. The confirmation test for amphetamines is included on page 8. But page 8 does not include the confirmation test for opiates. If there is a confirmation test for opiates on another page, then that test would have the levels of whatever opiate was present. But the two occurrences of 2113 on page 9 is not the level of any opiate.

If you have another page with the confirmation test for opiates, then I can comment further.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Let me look. I only sent the pp with the lab results because I thought that’s what I was supposed to send. Let me go thru it.

If your doctor was expecting the opiate screen to be positive, then your doctor may not have ordered an opiate confirmatory test. But a level of opiates can only be stated if the confirmatory test was done. So, if the opiate confirmatory test was not done, then the specific level was not determined.

In either case, the 2113 is not the level of the opiate.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. So the 2113 number is *****So what are we looking for in the report? Blood draw was done as well but I didn’t see anything about opiates. It seems all tests were done on the same day so when would confirmation testing have been done? I can send u all the rest of the pp.—there r actually 19. If I should just speak to you just let me know and I will call

It looks like all tests were ordered on the same day (4/4/2017), but they were resulted on different days. Confirmation tests take longer. The confirmation test for amphetamines was resulted on 4/11/2017, even though the screening test was resulted on 4/5/2017 at 0052 (12:52 AM). If a confirmation test for opiates was done, it was likely resulted around 4/11/2017, like the confirmation test for amphetamines.

As for what we are looking for, that is up to you. Since your original question was what was meant by 2113, and reviewing the report indicates it is a time stamp, we have addressed your original question. Your secondary question about whether the*****over or just barely over testing positive threshold is not relevant, since the 2113 is not the drug level.

If you are still curious about the opiate level and whether it is close to the threshold, then that can only be addressed if a confirmatory test was done, so you are looking for the opiate confirmatory test on the report. If that is not an issue, now that you know that the 2113 is a time stamp, then we do not need to be looking for anything in the report.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. I’m sending pp 12-19. All we’re looking for really is whether there are some results that would indicate what her opiate level was. We know results would show positive since she takes norco for pain. But do results show the opiate level was excessive?

There is not confirmatory test for opiates in any of these labs. If this is all the labs, the doctor must not have ordered a confirmatory test for opiates, since it would be expected that the opiate screening test would be positive.

However, there is other evidence that shows that she did not take excessive amounts of the Norco. The Norco is a combination of hydrocodone with acetaminophen. The labs did include an acetaminophen level, which is shown on page 12 to be 5.2, which is below the therapeutic range of 10-20. Since the acetaminophen level is low, the she clearly had not taken excessive amounts of the Norco. And a blood acetaminophen level is better than a urine opiate level at showing whether she had taken excessive doses of Norco. Even if a urine opiate confirmatory test was not done, the lab tests show that she did not take an excessive amount of Norco.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your insights after review of the information. Is there a way to get written documentation of your analysis of the lab results? We would like to have some sort of narrative to put in the folder we’re keeping to summarize the pages of numbers that make up the bulk of the document

The easiest way is to copy and paste the comments into a Word document (or other word processing software), and it can be either saved into a digital folder or printed for a paper folder.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. We were just looking for something showing the origin of the opinions expressed regarding interpretation of the lab results. Just playing devil’s advocate should someone think we wrote the interpretation ourselves!
We do appreciate your support, prompt responses and expertise. Our rating of our interaction with you will reflect this when we close out our communication with you

You can also copy the entire discussion as screen shots, which shows which statements were made by you and which were made by me.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

You are very welcome.

If we are done, please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Before I do so, will doing the rating as the final step delete all of our exchanges?

No. If you later think of another follow-up question, it can still be posted and answered, even though you previously completed the rating.

And the discussion to this point will remain indefinitely.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Dr. D. Love, Doctor