Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

A month ago, my hemoglobin was 14.7 and now it is 13.8, MCV…

Customer Question
A month ago, my...

A month ago, my hemoglobin was 14.7 and now it is 13.8, MCV went from 81.7 to 80.6? was wondering if this was considered normal or should i be concerned?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

None of thee above, I did have an appendectomy performed 10 days ago

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing that I can think of

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Doctor: Dr Su S, Doctor(MD) replied 5 months ago
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

Thank you for the input.
Such difference in level is not significant.
During appendectomy some blood loss can be a factor.
Still it is within normal limit.
Please do not worry.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

the 13.8 hemoglobin was taken before I had the procedure
also, I had appendiclothe. appendix was inflamed/enlarged 7.5cm with a calcified deposit on it. Appendicitis could have been forth coming so the surgeon removed the apendix.

Still, such variation is not unusual.
Breakdown of red cells occur constantly in our body.
Reading from one test to other can cause variation in result.
As long it is within normal limit, you need not worry.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you.
If you are happy with my answers please do not forget to leave a 5 star rating before signing out.
Without positive rating I will not get the credit for helping you today.
You can ask question on the topic after rating.
Wish you healthy life.
Warm Regards.