Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have Shingles for third time. In a lot of pain. Need help…

I have Shingles for...

I have Shingles for third time. In a lot of pain. Need help with pain

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Had it for one week. Im Icing it

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Yes, I lost a very good friend. It seems to appear on this type of loss. It's across my back and lower part of my head. Can not sleep.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will be assisting you today.

I am sorry you are dealing with this. Shingles can be very painful. Where is the shingles and are you already being treated for shingles with anti-viral medications?

Across top of my back & shoulders. also can't put my head down to sleep. What is anti viral medicine?
I have hydrocodein and amoxicillin, from another illness. Can they help?

Anti-viral medication is a medication used to help kill the virus that causes shingles. Acyclovir and valtrex are common antiviral medications. They need to be started within 72 hours of onset.

Aside from the antiviral medications, pain relief is the next most important thing. Pain relievers, such as Tylenol, ibuprofen, aleve or tricyclic antidepressants (prescription) can help. Topical creams (for example, calamine lotion) may help reduce itching. Lidocaine creams can help to numb the area as well.

Amoxicillin will not help, but if the pain is severe the hydrocodone can help. However, it does have addictive potential so start with the over the counter meds first like tylenol.

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD
Thank you, ***** ***** do Aleve or hydrocodone