Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son has had negative HIV1- HIV2 tests but has tested was…

My son has had...

My son has had negative HIV1- HIV2 tests but has tested was reactive to the HIV fourth generation test and negative for DNA tests . Why does he always reat to this fourth generation test and still be negative for the last 6 + months on all other tests? Will he always react to the fourth genaration test and remain negative for HIV

Doctor's Assistant: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

This is my son and he is 38 and otherwise healthy other than GERD

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital in Chennai, India. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Hello...I understand your concern.

Fourth-generation tests look for both antibodies AND antigens. Antigens are proteins on the surface of the HIV particle. Antibodies are produced by the immune system in response to the HIV antigens. The P24 tests are fourth generation tests as are Tri-Dot and Duo tests.

I am extremely sorry to say that if the 4th generation test is positive but HIV I and II are negative, it means the virus is there in the body and the antibody response by the host has not yet been raised. This is because everybody do not raise immune response at the same time. The 4th generation tests are 99.5% accurate 3-4 weeks after an exposure.

Coming to the question whether he will remain 4th generation test positive and HIV I and II negative - the answer is may not be so and in due course of time, he may start producing antibodies to the virus whence the HIV I and II tests may turn out to be positive.

I suggest that your son should not wait for the antibodies to become positive and go ahead with an infectious diseases specialist to start on ART please.

I am sorry to say this - but I am bound to give you my unbiased professional opinion keeping in ind the good will of your son please.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you , he saw an infectious disease specialist who did a DNA test that was negative and has assured him he felt the fourth generation test was a false positive. He is taking Truvada. Thank you

Hello, I am extremely happy to hear that. But I was suggesting ART because I thought repeated fourth generation tests were positive.

I wish you son a very healthy and bright future ahead.

Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD