Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was walking a couple of days ago in my neighborhood, deep…

I was walking a...

I was walking a couple of days ago in my neighborhood, deep in thought about something that bothered me. I experienced an emotional reaction and immediately could not catch my breath. I had been feeling fine physically. I then got weak, kneeled to the ground, and passed out for a few seconds. I then came around and continued my walk and did not feel weak. This has never happened before. I felt like my throat closed up.

Doctor's Assistant: How severe is this?

I don't know.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I think I have acid reflux but have not been to see a doctor yet.

3/8/2018
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Stress and/or anxiety can suddenly and unexpectedly trigger a cascade of chemicals inside the body that causes extreme duress and feelings of desperation. This is a severe form of a panic attack. It can make one feel short of breath and provoke hyperventilation. This can change the pH of the blood and/or cause the blood pressure to drop suddenly leading to a person passing out. I'm not sure if this is what happened to you, but your description is suggestive. Unless you feel completely back to normal and have not had any further episodes like this, I would recommend you see your doctor as soon as possible. You might also make an appointment to be evaluated for the anxiety that may have provoked this, as that can also be worked up and treated.

Thank you very much. I will do that.

You're welcome. Let me know if you have any follow up questions. I would be happy to help further.

If your questions have all been answered, a positive rating would be appreciated.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor