Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a mother 79 yrs old and she suffers from frequent…

Customer Question
I have a mother...

I have a mother 79 yrs old and she suffers from frequent panic attacks the dr.gives her Xanax 20 at atime each month now he wont refill them he says she is abusing them please help I don't know what to do !!!!

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

Well my sister has stage 4 liver cancer im a recovering drinker and my brother has had 4 operations on his legs I just thinking its a whole bunch of stress what do you think?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

She has led a rough life before us kids were born drinking abuse plus she tells me she is scared of dieing

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/9/2018
Doctor: Dr. A, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will be assisting you.

I am sorry you and your mother are going through this. Xanax and any other benzodiazepine are usually only used for panic attacks in the short term. They can be very sedating, addictive, and especially dangerous in older people. They can also react with other medications. Because of that, I think your doctor would not like to give this to her.

However, there are other options for your mother. Of course, there is psychotherapy which is very effective in controlling anxiety symptoms. In addition, there are medications that CAN be taken more long term such as Prozac and Effexor which can really help with panic disorder. You should ask your doctor about these if she is not already on them. I hope that was helpful.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide me with a 5-star rating for my service. Thanks!